According to NHTSA, the U.S. records approximately 6 million auto accidents yearly. Some of these accidents are minor, but some are catastrophic, and they often leave the involved victims in shock. The horror and shock you may experience in such accidents may make you lose your memory and calm.
You're less likely to act calmly and undertake the recommended safety measures. It's thus prudent to engage in drills and educational programs that teach you how to act after getting involved in a road accident.
What should you do after an accident?
- First, avoid panic, arguments, or fights because such engagements may worsen the situation.
- If the accident has left you in the middle of a busy road, seek safe ground, but don't leave the scene unless you seek emergency medical assistance.
- Once you're in safety, find out whether any involved person has sustained serious or minor injuries that need immediate medical attention.
- If you find any serious injuries that need urgent medical care, then call 911 or any other local emergency line and request assistance.
- If you're unhurt and your car is mobile, move it to a safe location. But don't take it too far from the accident scene.
- If you have a cell phone, call the police or flag down any vehicle passing by and seek help by contacting the police.
- After the arrival of the police and inspection of the scene of the accident, you should call roadside assistance to get your car towed to safety if it's not drivable.
With these steps taken, you're now on the safe side, but there are a few things that you should avoid to ensure that you don't get into more trouble. For instance, you shouldn't accept blame, any settlement, or sign any paper before consulting your lawyer and insurance agent.
To be on the safe side and capable of filing a claim, make sure that you collect all the information and evidence required after the accident. But avoid revealing your insurance policy details to the other parties involved.
To prevent accidents from happening, it is vital to keep your car safe. That is what we do here at Spectrum Car Care. We are committed to preventing accidents from happening to you by providing exceptional car care and mechanical repairs. If your car needs to be serviced, please call or visit our auto repair shop today.